Cos Sakkas named British Hairdresser of the Year for the second time!
Cos Sakkas has been crowned British Hairdresser of the Year for the second year at the star-studded British Hairdressing Awards, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional. Cos, who as Global Creative Director at TONI&GUY and LABELM is based at the TONI&GUY Academy in central London, took home the title for the second consecutive year with his stunning collection. This is Cos’s sixth nomination and second win of the prestigious title, and he now joins the echelon of British hairdressing greats.
Held at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House London, Cos received the coveted title in front of a 1,400 strong audience of hairdressing peers, influencers and press, alongside celebrity host, Katherine Ryan, who was joined by Hairdressers Journal International’s Executive Director, Jayne Lewis-Orr and Julian Crane, General Manager for Henkel Consumer Brands Hair Professional UK & Ireland. Currently in their 39th year, the awards celebrate the outstanding creative and technical skills of the best stylists in the industry.
Taking to the stage with a standing ovation, Cos was overcome with emotion as he said: “To be nominated for this award is an incredible honour and to win it is just unbelievable. To win twice is completely overwhelming! Without my TONI&GUY family it just would not happen. This award isn’t for me, it’s for us. This year it is TONI&GUY’s 60th anniversary when Toni, Guy, Bruno and Anthony revolutionised hairdressing and I’ve been privileged to work with them for 30 years. The standard of hairdressing in this country is constantly improving and I’m honoured that the judges have seen the passion and dedication I have for my work. I hope that this moment inspires others to pursue their dreams – if I can do it, then so can they!’
Jayne Lewis-Orr, Executive Director of HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards, said: ‘Almost four decades since they began, HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards continue to celebrate the most exciting and creative names in our industry. In winning the British title Cos has demonstrated a creative vision and level of expertise that is jaw-dropping and it is a privilege to see him crowned British Hairdresser of the Year.
Cos is no stranger to awards, having started his journey winning Newcomer of the Year, London Hairdresser of the Year three times and is part of the TONI&GUY Artistic Team, who broke records with their multiple award wins. He has been nominated for the prestigious award in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 before clinching it in 2022 and again in 2023.
Featuring ten regional categories, as well as nine specialist awards honouring work including Afro, Men’s, Session and Newcomer, entries are judged anonymously by over 100 leading hairdressers (including celebrity stylists, session stylists, previous winners and Hall of Fame* members). The ultimate accolade of British Hairdresser of the Year** was won by Cos Sakkas, Creative Director and Head of Education at TONI&GUY. After the dazzling ceremony, guests were treated to a performance by Björn Again.
Schwarzkopf Professional has been the sole sponsor of the event since its launch in 1984. Julian Crane, General Manager for Henkel Consumer Brands Hair Professional UK & Ireland, says: ‘Schwarzkopf Professional is honoured to shine a spotlight once again on some of the industry’s greatest talents. Our winners have wowed us with their passion and skill and should feel incredibly proud of their achievements.’
HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards 2023 sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional
Specialist Category Winners 2023:
- British Hairdresser of the Year: Cos Sakkas, TONI&GUY
- Session Hairdresser of the Year: Eugene Souleiman
- Afro Hairdresser of the Year: Melissa Timperley & Sara Williams, Melissa Timperley Salon
- Artistic Team of the Year: Mark Leeson Artistic Team
- Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year: Darja Laett, TONI&GUY Kensington
- Men’s Hairdresser of the Year: Sam Elliot, TONI&GUY Covent Garden
- Newcomer of the Year: Lucia Siero Hernández, TONI&GUY Westfield White City
- Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year: Suzie McGill, Rainbow Room International
- Trend Image of the Year: Elyse Pointon, Edward & Co
Regional Winners 2023
Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Olivia Binch, Mark Leeson
- London Hairdresser of the Year: Jordanna Cobella, Cobella
- Midlands Hairdresser of the Year: Tracey Ann Smith, French + Ivi
- North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Rick & Zoe Roberts, Rick Roberts
- North Western Hairdresser of the Year: Laura Kulik & Ria Kulik, The Hairbank
- Scottish Hairdresser of the Year: David Corbett, David Corbett Hairdressing
- Southern Hairdresser of the Year: Seung-ki Baek, RUSH Hair
- Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year: Ken Picton, Ken Picton Salon
- Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year: Danny Malone, MACC Hair
- International Collection of the Year: Antoinette Beenders & Jorge Cáncer, Aveda
Hall of Fame: Winning the same category three times:
- Caroline Sanderson (Scottish)
- Steven Smart (Wales & South West)